Sunday, September 16, 2007

The stages of life


The single-parent life is not easy and while I have no wish to go back to the damaged marriage I had, I do wish for a connection with someone. Right now my children are my life and there is nothing wrong with that as long as I have enough life in me to give back to them. So, I did the one thing I knew would bring me out of my funk...

I went to the theater.

The stage has always been my escape valve; my secret life. I've mentioned before that am an actress, but I haven't acted for years. I long for it. I tell myself that when the kids are old enough I'll be out there auditioning again (it's very important to me).

Anyway, living in the Twin Cities is wonderful for many reasons and one of them is you have a great many theaters to choose from. I chose the grand-daddy of them all, The Guthrie.

I called a phenomenal, SB friend of mine who is originally from my home town. She acted with me in college and "Knew Me When." This means she doesn't see me as the pathetic example I am today, but remembers me at my best, with no real cares and doing what I loved most. I love her for that. She and I did what we could to look presentable and set off for an evening of live entertainment. It worked. The show was charming and I wasn't me for 3 hours. I feel renewed.

Now I'd like to ask what gets you back when you have lost what is really you? Who is it "knew you when" and makes you feel like your better self? If you have the time I'd love to hear from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. Be fair, funny, frank, friendly, foolish or any of the goofy "F words". Peace, Susan