Thursday, October 18, 2007

They're not that nice!

In case any of you are planing to take a trip to Minnesota in the near future I feel it is my duty to warn you about...
MINNESOTA DRIVERS
You may have heard of us being referred to as the "Land of 10,000 Lakes" but I'll bet you've never heard of us as the "Land of Absolutely No Turn Signals." It's true. Drivers let other drivers know things like whether they are changing lanes or turning a corner by using their amazing powers of mental telepathy.

The problem with these ESP drivers is the fact that not all of us are similarly gifted and usually we don't know that the hell they're doing. Although I admit I prefer the ones who don't use their signal at all versus the fools who put it on after they are in their turn. They must want to let us know if we guessed right. Thank you for nothing.

There is also something missing up here that you may be accustomed to where you come from. The lack of this driving signal is probably due to another phrase describing our temperament - "Minnesota Nice." It explains the rare use of "the finger" up here. Oh they think of it, they just don't want to let you know they are thinking of it. (How I miss people from Chicago).

There is a definite self-containment in the personalities of the North Star State. Like the old joke about the Minnesotan who loved his wife so much - he almost told her. I actually love the people up here but coming from a manic mix of Italian and German I have next to no control over things like emotions. I like people to know what I am thinking. I guess that's why I use my turn signal.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. Be fair, funny, frank, friendly, foolish or any of the goofy "F words". Peace, Susan